A bake-free dessert
Sometime in the 1970s, (yes, I know I’m dating myself), my mom found a version of this recipe in a magazine. Since then, it has become a family classic. Without fail, every time my husband has brought this dessert to an office pig-in, he has returned home with an empty dish and requests for it to be made again.
Note: For sharing, I make a double recipe and put it in a 13” x 9” casserole dish.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Makes: 8 servings
1 graham cracker crust. I buy the box of graham cracker crumbs in the baking aisle and follow the recipe on the package. Using a premade crust is another option.
1 can of pie filling. Blueberry or Cherry are our favorites.
8oz. package of cream cheese. The 1/3 less fat version works well, and no one knows it has been used instead of the regular choice.
1/3 cup sugar
2 large bananas. Fully ripe bananas are best here.
1 medium tub of thawed Cool Whip
- Create the crust following package instructions and put into 9” pie plate. Put in the freezer for 10 minutes to let set.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add cream cheese mixture to pie crust.
- Cut bananas into ¼” thick slices and spread evenly over the cream cheese layer.
- Pour pie filling over banana layer.
- To add the whipped topping, spoon out large tablespoons dollops onto the pie. After all the dollops are added, smooth out the topping to cover any holes. Hint: use the dollop method to apply the Cool Whip to avoid picking up the color of the pie filling. If travelling with the dessert, wait to apply the cool whip until you arrive at the party.
- Serve the pie cold. Enjoy!